Monday, November 16, 2009

Twilight Zone

It has occurred to me today that I might be in the twilight zone. I am living in an area I moved away from two years ago and today I started a job that I previously quit. Surely tomorrow I will wake up in my small home in Portland with a yard and a dog and my two kids and friends will be coming over for Friday night dinner and I will serve butternut squash lasagna with goat cheese and light cream sauce with steamed broccoli and red wine and poached pears with cinnamon ice cream for dessert.

What is it that I do for work in Portland? Hmmm. I know what I don't do. I do not ever enter anything into Excel, especially not the exact same things into five different Excel spreadsheets. I do not ever avoid answering a question for fear of backlash and office drama. Pretending to be stupid would never be a necessity. I never care whether anything is printed on white or pink paper. I don't have to answer to people that have no idea how to spell or communicate in the first place. I don't have a code to enter the bathroom. My backpack and purse do not need to be inspected. I do not have to wait one month for my first paycheck. I do not work for people who are fired on my first day there.

No comments:

Post a Comment