Thursday, November 12, 2009

Sqvash

I love fall. I love pumpkins and Halloween decorations and moody weather and leaves changing. Here in the Chicagoland area we've been blessed with lovely warmish weather lately. I haven't been doing much cooking.

Ok. Well that's not exactly true. I made a cornbread that completely stuck to the pan and fell apart. I made tasteless tofu burritos with overcooked zucchini. I made hard boiled eggs that were actually soft boiled.

I think part of the problem I have run into is that the kitchen I am using is my mother's. I have previously established that my family loves clutter and so I often have trouble finding a bit of counter space to work on. I also have to dig through tons of kitchen gadgets and pots and pans and go through every drawer just to find the one pan I might need. Sure the kitchen might look nice but is it usable? Are we going to end up on that show Hoarders?

Mom and I often have power struggles about every little thing. I will tell her that I intend to make turkey chili the next day and lo and behold she has bought and already made enough soup and stew for two families before I get my chance to use the kitchen. My turkey ends up going bad and the fridge has no room for additional experiments.

The trick to being here is to make something that can be eaten immediately and doesn't require a lot of prep. Here is my first Spaghetti Squash dish and it actually turned out nicely. I can't believe that I have never made this before. It was delicious! This is now one of my new favorite foods. As soon as this was done I went out and bought another one.

I brought it downstairs for Grandma to taste. To her this is total American cooking. Squash in general is not something she would ever buy or attempt. She is leery of food like this and after a small bite decides that she might get a stomach ache. She thanked me for the sqvash and gave the dish back.

No comments:

Post a Comment