Thursday, August 6, 2009

Thank you, Julie

I was lucky enough to get a free ticket to see this movie early. I met Julie Powell at a book signing in Seattle two weeks ago and she was giving tickets away. Julie Powell inspired me to write this blog. Granted I had spent nearly every Sunday in a cafe writing in a journal, but it didn't have the same sense of accomplishment that this does.


Something that is brought up in the movie is how blogging is essentially narcissistic. Certainly I don't need to be more self involved than I already am but I do like this project. It's funny though, I realize that I write this because I think that I am interesting and some of my writing is worth reading. Does that make me a complete narcissist? Maybe it's just healthy to have projects that people can comment on and give you advice? I don't know, but I do like it. Recently a friend put up a comment about layer cakes that was super helpful and will come in handy this weekend...


When I met Julie I asked her what she thought the best way to market a blog is and she said that she didn't have to do much of that. People found her because she was doing it at a time when there weren't many out there. Now everyone wants everyone else to know what they think about every little thing. I don't really take the time to check out as much as I would like and then again I find that I just don't care about every damn blog I come across. It's so selfish that I expect people to read mine!


There are a couple food related blogs that I check on from time to time for fun and inspiration. If you can recommend some food/family/art/travel blogs I would look into it. On the flip side I often try recipes online that are recommended, or have a bunch of good comments on them and then it turns out awful. Just because a lot of good comments are on something doesn't make it good. Even the Daring Bakers let me down last month because one of the challenges was to make marshmallow cookies. Yuck. That doesn't interest me at all.


In this movie they do such a nice job of showing how important Julia Child's book was to her and how important Julie Powell's blog was to her. The fact that other people got involved and enjoyed the product was a bonus. I loved the back and forth and the beautiful idea of achieving your goals in whatever medium suits you best.



I really enjoyed the movie and for whatever its worth, would totally recommend it. It was much better than I thought it would be and I appreciated the glimpse into Julia Child's life.


I will definitely be trying Julia's boeuf bourguignon recipe soon.


Bon Appetit!

1 comment:

  1. Aw, thanks buddy. You know I can't just keep my mouth shut. :)

    ReplyDelete