Thursday, August 27, 2009

Daring Bakers August

The August 2009 Daring Bakers' challenge was hosted by Angela of A Spoonful of Sugar and Lorraine of Not Quite Nigella. They chose the spectacular Dobos Torte based on a recipe from Rick Rodgers' cookbook Kaffeehaus: Exquisite Desserts from the Classic Caffés of Vienna, Budapest, and Prague.

Here is mine:


This was a good challenge for me because as I have said earlier, layer cakes are not my thing. The torte is a wildy rich dessert and on top are supposed to be caramel wedges. They ended up being soggy and gross and a dreadful topping to this decadence. Oh well. I don't know what I did wrong, but since it dragged me away from reading Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows I guess I rushed it. Bummer. It would have been just fine without them and more sprinkled hazelnuts on top. I just really wanted to like the caramel mess even though for sure it was a failure. The torte turned out well, but best served at room temperature. I had to keep it in the fridge because it has just been too warm here for a cake to live on the table.

All I've got to say about this one is 10 EGGS?!? The recipe called for 10 eggs. Um. I'm having a cholesterol test tomorrow and it is possible that this cake alone has put me into a danger zone. This was the type of cake that you could only have a thin slice of. However, if you have several thin slices over a week you are in trouble. I am in trouble.
How to resist such a thing?

4 comments:

  1. My caramel wedges went soggy overnight in the fridge :) Ohhh well, I still enjoyed the torte! You did a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My caramel wedges didn't work either! And actually, I think the cake would have been better without them to begin with. Yummy, anyways. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The caramel wedges were definitely the most challenging part of this challenge! However, yours look pretty darn good to me, as does your finished torte! Then again, you just throw it away before eating your slice, since it's soggy! Nicely done, minus the soggy wedges..lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. How to resist? Make it at your parents' house and LEAVE IT THERE! :-)Great job.

    ReplyDelete