Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Coloring


In junior high I thought myself to be something of a painter. I liked painting flowers mainly because of the colors and beauty and simplicity. Several of my old artworks adorn the homes of my family members. When I saw the paintings there I never paid any attention to them.

I haven't painted a thing in at least ten years. In college it quickly became obvious that my interest in painting was only some sort of childish playfulness. When I was a kid I attended a weekend art school where they taught me to re-produce famous paintings. The idea was to learn technique that way. As an adult I felt embarrassed that I had done so much reproduction but practically nothing with unique perspective. That began the feeling that I was no artist at all.

Today I saw the real painting of Georgia O'Keefe's Yellow Hickory Leaves with Daisy, and I think for a kid, mine isn't so bad at all.

1 comment:

  1. I think it looks great! You should see some of my paintings...yeesh.

    ReplyDelete