Saturday, September 19, 2009

Cake Fail




I was able to maintain a no sugar diet for two weeks then destroyed it entirely. I decided to make a fruit cake, thinking that I would eat none of it, but it didn't turn out right and I got upset and had some ice cream. Damn.

I had high hopes for this cake. I got the recipe from Macrina Bakery's recipe of the month. They suggested fruit such as raspberries, huckleberries, blackberries and so on but I didn't have them. I had plums, nectarines, apples, and kiwi. I thought it would be awesome but it was raw and disgusting. The density of the fruit must have brought down the cake's height and smooshed the rest together. I wonder what the technical term for this mess is but whatever happened it was disappointing. I thought kiwi would be so nice in it! It would give it a little unexpected zing and crunch.

When making fruit cake the trick to it is to coat the fruit in flour so that the fruit doesn't all sink to the bottom of the cake. All I can think of is that the fruit I used was so juicy it made too much goo inside or I just didn't put in enough flour. So sad!

No comments:

Post a Comment